The IBBAD

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

So they say there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Well I must be a bad owner because Abby, who is my pup, is just plain bad. She has always gotten into trouble, since she was a little pup, and I blame it on the fact that she is just too smart for her own good. She has been known to knock things off the counter, beg for food, get into the trash, and get into the fridge.

Rick decided he was going to train her (and me to I guess...ha!) to be a good dog. One of the ways that he trained his dog Napoleon was with a nerf gun. If you catch them in the act, you just shoot the nerf gun at them, and it really just scares them, it doesn't hurt them. They are small nerf arrows, and you really just shoot them in their bum or on their side (never in their face). It's kind of similar to other methods where you spray the dogs with water, it's really just to distract them from whatever trouble they are getting into.

Photobucket

So we decided to call our nerf gun the IBBAD (not to be confused with the iBad, we don't want to get sued by Apple :) ). IBBAD stands for Instant Beagle Behavorial Alteration Device.

So far all 3 pups are scared of the IBBAD and you don't even need to shoot it at them, just point and they will stop whatever they are doing. This really has been a life saver, especially since Bryn and Abby have started getting into fights every once in a while (they are working out their girl issues). I just point and they chill out. Every once in a while when Abby starts barking up a storm (or yelling at everyone as Rick likes to call it), I have to shoot at her, but she quickly gets the point and stops.

I think we may have to either invest in a second one for upstairs, or I am in need of a holster as the only problem is it seems to be in a different room when you really need it...ha! Maybe one for every room is the key, but either way, it's been the perfect training device for us so far. I guess we will see how long it lasts until smarty pants Abby figures out it really won't hurt her :)

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is a really good idea! I had been watching the Dog Whisperer and he gives them a little nudge with his foot to interrupt their actions, but my dogs just look at me in disgust and then carry on what they're doing! So I may have to try one of these! Great post! xx

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!