Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lately I am obsessed with crock pot recipes. I love the idea of coming home to an already cooked dinner. I love to cook, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I don't enjoy spending an hour prepping and cooking dinner, especially in the fall/winter when the days already seem so short. I have been cooking about 2 crock pot recipes a week, and making enough for left-overs for a few days. It's fun to not have to worry about cooking for a few days, especially when they are yummy enough that you want to eat as left-overs.

I found this recipe over a year ago, and it's actually a weight-watchers recipe. It's very flavorful and even though it's really healthy, it feels somewhat like a comfort food, which is great as the weather gets colder. Rick loved this recipe and he even was like, "Are you going to take a photo and put on your blog? This tastes great!" He even assisted by styling the plate...ha!

I modified the recipe slightly based on our tastes. I don't care a lot for cumin, so I did bring that down by half, and did not include the onion powder or the geen onions...didn't want to kill Rick since he is highly allergic to onions. You can find the full recipe in the link below.

When I got home I did make a few servings of brown rice to serve this over. It's a little soupy, so the rice helped to soak up some of the juices. It's definitly a recipe that I will add to our current crock pot roation.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken
Modified from Skinny Taste

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb chicken breast (approx. 3 large pieces)
  • 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies or jalapenos
  • 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 8 oz canned corn
  • 14 oz low sodium chicken broth  
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt to taste
Directions:

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning. Serve over rice or in a tortilla.

What are you cooking up this Fall? Do you have any fun and tasty crock pot recipes?


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if we've had this convo before, but I am highly allergic to onions too! YAY for not being alone, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, that looks delish! I love the crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make that same recipe, and it is so delicious! I use rice as well to soak up the juice.

    It is still so hot here that fall foods aren't used much yet. I did make potato soup the other day.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!