DIY Glitter Pinecone Ornaments

Thursday, December 6, 2012

I have been extremly crafty this week. I think I have been covered in glue and glitter every night this week...ha! I am working on putting together our Christmas tree, and I am almost there. Just a few more finishing touches and then we will be done! I can't wait to share with everyone!

One of the crafts I was working on this week was glitter pinecone ornaments. I am kind of starting over with our tree this year, and have a few of my favorite ornaments from over the years that I wanted to showcase, but other than that I was starting with all new stuff: new filler ornaments, a new tree topper, new garland, new everything! This can be costly when you are starting over with a tree, so I wanted to find some inexpensive ornaments that I would make that would be a fun way to fill up our huge tree...yes it's huge!!

Today I am also linking up with Katey over at Keep Calm and Carry On and Steph over at a Beautiful Mess for their Saw It, Pinned It, Did It link up.

Here is my finished ornament:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

And here is the pin I found that I used for inspiration. I believe it came from Better Homes & Gardens.


Source: bhg.com via Jen on Pinterest


So here is what I did:

1. I started with those cinnamin pinecones which are everywhere. I think I got a bag of them at Walmart for $3.

2. Then tie some cording into a loop with just a knot.

3. Glue onto the flat side of the pinecone. I used craft glue, so it had to dry overnight, but you could also use a glue gun.

4. Brush on white craft paint with a sponge brush onto the tips of the pinecone to make it look like snow.

5. Sprinkle glitter on wet paint.

6. Shake off excess glitter

7. Hang to dry.

8. Hang on your tree and enjoy!

This craft cost me a total of $7
-- $3 for the pinecones
-- $1 for the white craft paint
-- $3 for the glitter
-- foam brushes I already owned (maybe $2 at Walmart)
-- cording I already owned (maybe $2 at craft store)


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

It's a very simple project and really doesn't take too much time, other than all of the drying time. It's a little messy with all of the glitter, but other than that not too hard. Please note you will get glitter everywhere, so just be prepared for that. There is already glitter and pine needles all over our house anyway due to decorating the tree, so I was really only adding to the existing mess...ha!

I also hung my pinecones by the cording that I used for my Thanksgiving sign...yes the cording is still hanging up there. I was planning on making a Christmas sign, just haven't figured out what I wanted yet. I thought it was cute seeing them all hanging in the window this morning.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

So there you have it! Easy, inexpensive, and cute ornaments for your tree this year!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

What crafts are you making for Christmas this year?

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I love these! I plan on making chalkboards for friends this year, I really should get started on those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too adorable! Great festive DIY!
    -Jamie
    http://chatterblossom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are cute and anything with glitter is a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I like you pinecones better than the pins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so pretty! Look like they came straight out of Anthropologie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so so pretty! :) Love them! Newest follower thanks to the link up! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO cute! I love this idea!!! They turned out perfect! Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!