Product Review: November 2012 Birchbox

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Has anyone heard of Birchbox? It's a service where you sign up and pay $10 a month to receive the latest beauty samples. I recently signed up because I am so not up on the latest beauty trends/products, and thought it would be fun to try some new products. Also, I thought $10 a month was pretty reasonable, and thought why not give it a shot.

I received my first Birchbox right before Thanksgiving, and wanted to share what I got and my thoughts.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Here it is in the boxed it was shipped in.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

And here is the packaging.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


When you first open the box, there is a welcome letter explaining that this month's theme was "give".

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Here are all of the goodies I recieved:

-- Kerastase Masque Chroma Riche - This is a hair mask for color-treated/dry hair, and they included 2 samples. I tried this last night and it did make my hair seem softer this morning, and my ends seemed to be a little less frizzy. I have extremly dry hair, which is also color treated, so this was a perfect product for me to try. I want to try it again a few times, and I think I can get about 3 treatments out of the 2 samples, before I say if I would buy it or not. It's $61 for a full size product, which is a little pricey, but I don't think you would use it that often, maybe once a week, so it might be worth it. My only complaint was that the sample didn't include directions on how to use it, so I was stuck in the shower not knowing how long to leave it on, or if I should wash it out.

-- Shea Terra Organics Whipped Shea Butter Body Creme - This is a body cream in a cute little round container, perfect for my purse. Its an interesting texture, and reminds me of a marshmallow. Its also banana-bubblegum scented, which is a little weird. I like it, but not sure if I would want to put it all over my body as the scent is a little strong. Also, its a little greasy for hand cream. I think it's great for cuticles, so I will probably keep in my purse to quickly put on my cuticles if they seem dry.

-- Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer - This is a luminescent fluid which you can add to your cheekbones or decolletage, or mix with your foundation for an all-over glow (per the enclosed card). I have not tried this yet, but am looking forward to trying this weekend for my holiday party. I'll have to let you know what I think and if I like it. I just haven't had an opportunity to be all glowy...not really appropriate for work...ha!

-- Twistband Hair Tie - I have been wanting to try this and was super excited to get one. Mine is in a dark olive green color. Probably not my first color choice, but is sort of a neutral color, so that will work. I thought it was a little tight to wear aroud my wrist at first (which is the trend), but it did keep my hair in place the other day at the gym, and didn't tear my hair out when I removed it. It did stretch out a little after I wore it in my hair, so it is probably a little more comfortable to wear on my wrist. I have only tried it once, so not sure how long it will hold up. I might try ordering a few other colors if I like how it holds up.

-- John Varvatos Artisan cologen - this is a sample to give to the man in your life. It's a blend of citrus and warm woods. I liked it, and gave it to Rick. He liked it, but I don't believe he has used it, but maybe this weekend for my holiday party :)

-- Color Club Put A Pin In It - this is a cute nail polish that is a light pinky/gold color. It's also very metalic, which is perfect for the holidays. I tried to take a pic of it on my nails, but it's so hard to take a pic of your hands...ha! It lasted about 5 days before it started chipping, but that's about average for how long polish lasts on my nails. It also dried really fast, and had a slight texture to it, so it's kind of a foolproof polish, no worries about bubbles/imprefections as it won't really show.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I also received a $15 off coupon to Chromatic Gallerie, which is shoe website. I haven't had a chance to really check it out, but the coupon expires on 12/31/12, so I better get over there :) They also included a "Give" box to give a little something to a family or friend. I am a bad person and haven't utilized this box yet. Maybe soon, as the holiday's aren't over yet...ha!

My overall experience: I thought it was fun to try out these new products, and it was so fun to open the box and see what all I got. From what I am finding out, everyone gets something different.

My only disappointment was that I saw what some other people got via Instagram and the spoiler video on the Birchbox website, and there were a few products that I was sad I didn't get to try. One was a mascara, since I am looking for a new one, and the other was chocolate covered potato chips (come on, who doesn't want to try that??).

Other than that, it was fun, and I'll definitly try it another month. It is a recurring service, but I believe you can cancel any time. I'll let you know what December brings and what other fun products I get to try.

Please note that I was not compenstated or asked by Birchbox to review this product. I would be more than happy to do so, but they probably have not idea who I am. I thought it was a cool service, and just wanted to share.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!