DIY Twine Letter

Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's been a few weeks since I last linked up with Katey over at Keep Calm and Carry On and Steph over at a Beautiful Mess for their Saw It, Pinned It, Did It link up. But this week I am glad to share my first crafty project of 2013!!

Photobucket

I have been wanting to make a monogram yarn letter for a while now, and have pinned a few options over the last few months, but wasn't sure what color or embellishments I wanted to use. I finally came across this one a few weeks ago, and just knew I wanted to do something very similar.

Source: etsy.com via Jen on Pinterest


I believe this version came from Etsy, so I had to do a little search on Google on the steps to recreate this, but I found it was very simple and took only a few supplies. I ended up actually making two, one for Rick { R } and one for me { J }. I loved how they turned out, and now I just need to find a place to hang them :)

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

So here are the steps to make one of your own. It's very easy, but takes a little time to wrap the letter. It's a perfect craft to sit down and complete while catching up with your DVR or watching a movie. I think it took me about 1.5 hours to wrap the "J" and 2 hours to wrap the "R."

Supplies (all from Michaels):
~ Wooden letter
~ Twine
~ Glue gun and glue sticks
~ Embellishments (I used faux succulents)
~ Ribbon to hang

Directions:
I started in the back at the top and used the glue gun to attach the twine to the letter. I then started wrapping the twine around the wooden letter. As I wrapped it around, I used hot glue to hold the twine in place. I would say I glued pretty much all of the twine down.

As you are wrapping the twine around, make sure that it's tight up against the previous row of twine so that the color of your letter doesn't show through. One thing I would have liked to have changed was to use a brown colored letter, but I could only find white ones at the craft store. One thing to note: I placed a hand towel on my lap and worked on top of the towel because some of the hot glue was seeping out and was getting all over my pants. Crafts should never get in the way of fashion!!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

You might need a needy beagle to help you out with this project. It's proven to make any craft more special...or at least that's what Abby told me.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I loved how it turned out and am planning on hanging with some sage green ribbon to finish it off. I choose the faux succulents because I thought they were a little manlier than faux flowers. Rick isn't a huge fan of faux flowers, so I was trying to make it not so girly. I am not sure if I succeeded, but I like it :)

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

What do you think? Too girly? Ha! For even more Pinteresting fun, check out the Saw It, Pinned It, Did It link up over at Keep Calm and Carry On and a Beautiful Mess .

Photobucket

Follow Me:

Follow Me on Pinterest http://www.buttonshut.com/ Follow Me on Twitter Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. I love this project, yours came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! I'm all of a sudden in love with Monograms!

    Eve
    lovealwayseve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a great job!! i love how rustic they look.

    ah, i love seeing stuff like this...now i feel like i can really attempt something like this!!

    found you from katie and stephanie's link up :)

    Hollie
    www.helloindigoblog.com

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!