My Passion for Photography

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lately I have been obsessed with photography. I could breathe photography all day long, and would if I didn’t have to sleep and go to work...darn.
I got my first DSLR Camera, a Rebel T3i, for Christmas this year, and this was one of the best gifts anyone could have ever given me. I am so grateful that Rick was so thoughtful enough to pick up on this gift idea. I think I only ever shared with him one or two times my dream was to get an amazing camera someday, and he is such a great listener to pick up on this and then take the time to research what would be the best camera for me to start out on.

 photo IMG_0548_Edit_zpsf8f5a3d3.jpg

Taking pictures has always been a big thing in my life. I got my first camera as a birthday/college graduation gift and I have taken a million pictures since then. I love to document everything in pictures, and then I have them printed and placed into chronological photo books, writing all important details on the back of each picture. I probably have 8 or so photo books full of pictures from over the last decade. My Grandmother is the same way, so I think I probably get this from her. Oh and don't even get me started with the hundreds of photos I have shared on Facebook...my poor family and friends...ha!

 photo IMG_0479_Edit_zps13c7e6f9.jpg

My first camera was a point-and-shoot 35 mm film camera, and I have since then upgraded to a few point-and-shoot digital cameras. I have always been very careful to watch how I set up my shots, and would then spend hours editing my pictures in basic Kodak photo editor software to crop them, fix red eyes, and adjust the color as best as I could.

Napoleon photo IMG_0397_Napoleon_zpsc3470742.jpg

My family and friends always loved how my pictures turned out, and I have been called many a times the “family photographer.” It has been said on numerous occasions, “I don’t need to take pics of this holiday, Jen you will send me yours right?” But I still always wanted to do more. Get more artistic with my pictures, blur out the backgrounds, have them pop with color.

 photo IMG_0637_Edit_zps3d62800a.jpg

After getting my new camera I have become obsessed with reading photography books and websites, absorbing as many tips and tricks as possible. My favorite book so far is Understanding Exposure, and this book has taught me how to shoot in manual right from the start, and I don’t think I will ever shoot any other way. This camera has a ton of different settings which allow the camera to do most of the work, but I got frustrated with too many options and not being able to figure out which setting was best for my shot. The manual setting has allowed me more control and taught me how to set things up on my own properly for the best exposure. No don’t get me wrong, I am still making mistakes, but at least I am learning as I go and learning from my mistakes. I have only been doing this for 2 months, so professional I am not…far from it. But I am learning a lot and experimenting all the time, which I hope will allow me to grow and eventually get some amazing shots!

Abby photo IMG_0391_Abby_zpsd0aaa2f1.jpg
I have also read almost every post on The Pioneer Woman’s blog and on Kevin and Amanda’s blog. I love their tutorials because they are written so everyone can understand. Some of the professional books and websites write in technical jargon and I get more confused after reading their posts than before I started. If you are just starting out with photography, or even more experienced, I highly recommend checking out these blogs and the Understanding Exposure book. Very useful!!

 photo IMG_0593_Edit_zpse798555f.jpg

I could blab on about this all day long, every day, but if you have come this far, thank you! Hopefully you are just as passionate about this as I am, or maybe you are also like me with just love looking at people's photos. I have tried to incorporate some of my favorite photos I have taken to date throughout this post, just to keep things interesting.
Are any of you into photography as well? If so, I would love to reach out to you and chat about our hobby. I am always interested in tips and tricks and if there are any websites or books out there that you love, please share. I want to keep posting about my journey, and hopefully won’t bore everyone, but the best way I have learned is through these types of posts, and hope that someday, even if it’s 5 years down the line, someone will come across one of my posts and will find it helpful!

Happy almost Friday!!

Photobucket
Follow Me:

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, thanks for including tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these! I recently switched from Canon to Nikon and I still have no idea how to work the new camera!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!