DIY Wine Cork Trivet

Thursday, March 21, 2013

So it's been a couple of months since I have completed a Pinterest project. I'll admit I was having some Pinterest withdraw. But have no fear, today I want to share one of the cutest, and yet easiest projects I have ever done. I believe this project took about 5 mins to make. Cute, easy, and it involves wine...triple win!!

 photo WineCorkTrivet_zps5515a88c.jpg


I came across this pin a while back, and was just waiting until I had enough corks to make it work. I'll be honest I have been saving corks for over a year now with the intention of completing a wine cork wreath. I did have to dig into my stash for this project, but I think it will be well worth it. So how did I make it?

 photo IMG_0897_Edit_zpsd38b6321.jpg


1. For a medium-sized trivet, you will need approx. 50 - 55 uniformly sized corks and a 8- to 10-inch metal hose clamp (sold in the plumbing section of the hardware store).

2. Lay you clamp down on a flat surface. Arrange your corks inside the clamp, standing them upright and in tight circle. I set the right-side up of the corks on the bottom so I would have a flat surface in case some corks weren't the same size. I also strategically arranged the corks stained by red wine so that they weren't all clumped together. It made a nice designer touch to the trivet.

3. Raise your hose clam up a little until it is in the middle of the corks. Then tighten the clamp with a screwdriver to bind the corks together. I just kept tightening until I could pick up the trivet and the wine corks would not fall through. I then tightened a little more. If you have any excess clamp, you may want to trim with metal clippers.

4. Then flip over your trivet and enjoy!

 photo IMG_0902_Edit_zpsb496e5d2.jpg


I totally love how it turned out! When I am not using it for a hot pot or pan, I am planning on keeping one of my candles on it.

 photo IMG_0901_Edit_zps5a8524c9.jpg

 
Today I'm linking up with Katey over at Keep Calm and Carry On and Steph over at a Beautiful Mess for their Saw It, Pinned It, Did It link up. Check it out for even more fun Pinterest projects!
 
Photobucket
 
Follow Me:
 
http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. I love that! I have a ton of corks from other projects and I think I might have to add this to my list! I wonder if you could just hot glue them together and then take the hose clamp off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good idea! and I have so many corks I could use for this. thank you for sharing girl and for linking up :) glad to have you back with us on the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea! I totally need to make this as a gift for a wine lover!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!