3, 2, 1 Running Workout

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Today I wanted to share my new favorite running workout. First off I want to say that I have always wanted to be a runner, but I used to despise running. My lungs would burn, my stomach would hurt and my legs would turn to rubber anytime I tried to run. I think 95% of it was motivation and attitude. I think I also tried to overdue it too much sometimes, would be hurting so much the next day, and then would get demotivated very quickly.



But a few months ago I decided I wanted to try it again, invested in some new running shoes and just did the best that I could. I started out running for 5 minutes at a time, and then walked a few minutes, and then did it all over again. Two months later, I was finally able to run 3 miles straight in 30 minutes at 6.0 on a treadmill. I was finding that I was getting bored and the thought of running for 30 minutes at one speed was overwhelming to me (once again, attitude and motivation seem to be my demise), so I came up with this 3, 2, 1 workout routine which has been a lifesaver for me.

 photo 321Workout_zps6fa4ec67.jpg


3 mins at a comfortable running speed
2 mins at a medium intensity speed
1 min at a high intensity speed

I started out at:
3 mins at 6.0
2 mins at 6.3
1 min at 6.5

Then worked my way up to:
3 mins at 6.0
2 mins at 6.5
1 min at 6.7 and then up to 7.0

Each set is 6 minutes long, and if you do 5 sets total, you will get in a 30 minute workout. Recently I did 6 total sets and finally got to 4 miles. I did have to add on 2 more minutes at 6.0 to reach 4 miles.

This workout has really helped me to increase my speed and endurance. As I mentioned above, I finally made it to 4 miles last week which I thought was never possible! Because you focus on small chunks of time, the time really seems to fly by. And I just keep telling myself it’s only 3 minutes, or 2 minutes, or 1 minute…you can do anything in 1 minute!

I have actually told a few friends who have tried it out and they love it as well. You can really customize this to your own needs. Just pick 3 speeds and after a few workouts/weeks, increase as much as you can. The goal is really to just keep mixing it up so your body doesn’t get used to just one workout.



I know it’s not rocket science, and there are a ton of running programs out there, but I like the simplicity of this one. Try it out and let me know how you do!

And to end with a little more motiviation...this one is for all the ladies:

Source: weheartit.com via Jen on Pinterest


Photobucket

Follow Me:

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about getting bored! I normally do okay outside (I suppose there are enough distractions), but if I have to run on the treadmill, the only thing that appeases me is wi-fi and Pandora workout stations with new songs! ha! It's the little things.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!