Menu Sunday

Sunday, May 19, 2013

For this week's Menu Sunday, I wanted to share the results of some new recipes we tried last week, as well as some potential new recipes we are looking to try this week. I haven't actually made it to the store yet, so things might change based on what I actually end up buying. Sometimes I find inspiration when I'm at the store, and I quickly start Googling on my phone to see how I can pull it all together. Anyone ever do that?

So here are last week's meals:


 photo 7d73ee46-c2b1-4b09-81f5-e611ffe2ea6f_zps2f628501.jpg

The recipe in the link above is actually for the roasted red pepper sauce. I just browned some Italian sausage, poured some of the finished sauce in the pan to warm it back up again, and then served over some gluten free pasta. This recipe is so good, and you can make it a spicy by adding more red pepper flakes. The first time I made it I remember sweating while I was eating this, and since it was in the 80's last week, I cut back the red pepper flakes a little bit, but feel free to make it as spicy as you want.


 photo null_zps35dbd5f6.jpg

I actually saw this recipe in a few menu posts from last summer and had heard lots of good things about it. And boy it didn't disappoint. I used some saut√©ed zucchini and some canned corn since corn really isn't in season just yet here. I also used rice milk cheese, and corn tortillas since I am trying to cut out dairy and gluten. These were sooo good, and I am now obsessed with making tostadas. I also made a version with pizza sauce, leftover brown Italian sausage and cheese for lunch yesterday, and then a pizza version with pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese for lunch this afternoon. Such a quick and easy meal to make for lunch or dinner!


 photo 9d16cdb7-255d-4147-8795-bb0081bcd841_zps52dd8915.jpg


Let's first talk about this peanut crusted chicken. It was sort of a pain to pull out the food processor and grind up the peanuts, but it was a meal that I could then just throw in the oven for 25 mins and get other stuff done (i.e. make risotto). But OMG, this was delish! The ground peanuts were getting soft and tasted just like peanut butter. Therefore the chicken tasted just like it was smothered in peanut butter. I mean that can't be bad right?!? And then the risotto...yes again another meal that is kind of a pain to make since you have to stand there for 20 - 25 mins stirring the pot constantly...but it is like a cheesy heaven. I did use parmesan cheese for this, which isn't as bad on my belly since it's a hard cheese and tends to have less lactose. Sometimes you just can't fake cheese and have to splurge. But only just a little splurging for me :) When I first started making this meal I was kind of in a bad mood and it seemed like a big pain in the butt for me to make. But halfway through, I realized this was going to be a total comfort meal and my mood instantly got much better. It was totally worth it in the end, and if you have some time, I encourage you to make this. So good!

This week's meals include the theme..."cleaning out the fridge/pantry." There are a couple of recipes that I have been wanting to try and have actually purchased some of the ingredients for, so I figure now is the time to let our grocery budget have a rest, and use up some of these ingredients. This week I am thinking about making the following meals:

Faux Creamy Fettuccini with Asparagus - This was on my list from last week, and we ended up getting Chipotle last week on the night I was planning on making this. And then we had plans to eat out the rest of the week, so it's getting pushed to this week. Still excited to try it.

Ham & Cheese Quinoa Cups - I bought some quinoa a few weeks ago for a recipe I wanted to try, and then forgot where I saw the recipe and couldn't find it again...big fail! So I was doing some researching and remembered this recipe from Iowa Girl Eats, and thought it looked like something fun and different to try. It might be fun to freeze these for a quick late night dinner. We will see how many of these are actually left-over...ha!

Margarita Chicken - This is a recipe that I tried a few years ago, and then found again in my Semi-Homemade Cookbook. I purchased the ingredients a few weeks ago, and didn't get around to making it, so figured this week was a great time to try it out again. Especially since our cilantro plant is growing like crazy, and we need to use some up before it takes over the entire herb garden!

Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchinis - This is another recipe I keep meaning to make, and probably have half of the ingredients already on-hand. And this is the week we will try it! I love squash and zucchini, and will eat tons of it over the summer, so be prepared for lots of squashy recipes :)

I will probably try and find one more easy backup meal like a rotisserie chicken or pizza to have on a night when I don't feel like cooking. It's hard for me to cook 5 nights in a row, and I typically need to have a convenience meal on hand for those nights...or else we end up going for Chipotle...which isn't bad...but not necessarily budget friendly.

What are you cooking this week?

Linking up with Rachel from In No Simple Language for Menu Monday.


Photobucket

Follow Me:
http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!