Pumpkin Carving with the Family

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

On Sunday Rick's family came to visit and his sister Kristyn brought over some pumpkins for us to carve. We had a blast and ended the night saying that we needed to have a little project every time we get together.

 photo 699a96a1-8760-4e07-85ce-5504ec3f85ba_zps4858dfe6.jpg


It has been years since I have carved pumpkins, and let me tell you, I have never carved such fancy pumpkins. We always just pulled out the kitchen knives and made triangle eyes and noses, but Kristyn brought over a pumpkin carving kit and tools and ours got fancy!

 photo PumpkinCarving_zps5b3a9a98.jpg


Now I know people have been using these for years, it's nothing new, but I was a little freaked out about it. My drawing skills are not very good, and I'm sort of a perfectionist, which is why we always went the old school route with the triangles and crooked smile. Any one else know what I'm talking about?!?

 photo PumpkinCarving2_zps4ed375b3.jpg


But it actually wasn't as hard as I thought and they were pretty fail proof. I did end up breaking one of the little saws...sorry Kristyn...but luckily she had plenty of tools.

 photo 1379726_728496917163688_388295171_n_zpsd88bfacf.jpg


Here is Rick in action with his Dracula pumpkin. Do you love all of the knives in the background. I wasn't about to use my good Wusthof knives for these bad boys, although they probably would have cut them pretty well. My favorite kitchen investment so far!

 photo 28a77bee-b4d3-49f3-8c20-079d030eae92_zps08ad4a46.jpg

{ Velcome - Rick's Mom; Dracula - Rick's; Old School - Rick's Dad; Cute Cat - Mine }

Here are all of our completed pumpkins, and this picture doesn't really do it justice showing how huge they were. Kristyn brought over some of the biggest pumpkins I have ever seen and they were only $3.49 each at Kroger. She said since they weren't by the pound she found the largest ones she could.

Have you carved your pumpkins yet? We have a few more on the front porch that we were planning on leaving uncarved so they would last through November.

Next family project on the docket....Christmas cookies!

Photobucket

Follow Me:

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. These are so so cute! I need a stencil because mine would not look that good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressed with the carvings, especially the cat one. And, Christmas cookies sound like a great idea, too. I love Christmas!

    Daily Style Finds (Cash & Gift card giveaway)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!