The Perfect Fall Weekend + The Perfect Fall Meal

Monday, October 14, 2013

Oh Monday, here we meet again. Oh how I miss my perfect Fall weekend. It was a very laid back weekend, full of the things I love. Organizing, apple/pumpkin picking, and full of delicious recipes.

I have been wanting to go apple picking at Lynd's Fruit Farm FOR-EV-ER! And I was so excited to finally get to go this weekend. Since I have never been apple picking, like ever, I had no idea what to expect. We decided to go with a large bag (for $20), and have probably about 25 lbs of apples. I think the ones we got were either Suncrisps or Melrose. Whatever they are, they were perfect.

 photo IMG_2225_1_zps4cbc015f.jpg

We also stopped by the pumpkin patch and picked up a few pumpkins for outside. I haven't decided yet if I want to carve them, or do something creative, but we will wait a few weeks until closer to Halloween. It's been too warm out I'm afraid they might go bad too soon if we carve into them now.

 photo IMG_2255_1_zps430cfa76.jpg

I think the puppies approved of our pumpkins. Either that or they were confused as to why Rick and I were outside taking pictures of the door...ha!

 photo IMG_2262_1_zps09990176.jpg

For dinner we had the most amazing fall meal. You guys, you seriously need to make this. And it made the house smell amazing!

 photo A09DD56C-AA82-44B9-BB1E-EEE3CE7EB76E-969-0000010B7487B677_zpsd3ba6dfc.jpg


And what do you do when life gives you a million apples? Make an apple crisp. But not any ole apple crisp, how about Butterscotch Apple Crisp!
  photo 9A1A5D89-28CF-46A5-9CE4-DCFE3CADCF78-969-0000010B7D9C35B9_zps9dbabaa2.jpg

Butterscotch Apple Crisp
Recipe Courtesy of The Neely's

Filling:
  • 5 medium or 4 really large apples (about 2 pounds), peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 (11-ounce) bag butterscotch chips
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used gluten free all-purpose flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, plus more for greasing
Topping: 
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used gluten free all-purpose flour)
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.

For the filling: Toss the apples, butterscotch chips, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice, and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Add to the buttered baking dish and dot with butter.

For the topping: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oats, and salt. Blend the butter into the mixture until it forms pea size lumps. Stir in the pecans and sprinkle over the filling.

Bake until the apples are tender and butterscotch is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Plate with a scoop of butter pecan ice cream on top.

 photo 4F11C786-1EC2-47D3-AED2-A555FCD6D0D2-969-0000010B8BAAE7B3_zps6fc2d0c9.jpg
This stuff is seriously amazing. I asked Rick if I had ever made this for him before, and when he said no, I was like "I am so sorry." Ha!

In other fun news, I finally broke down and purchased the head chairs I have been dreaming about the last month or so. World Market was having their 25% off Friends and Family sale this weekend (goes through today I think if you are still looking for a great deal).

 photo B75EEBBB-3728-48D4-8D08-882190B9051F-969-0000010CF9F615AC_zpsc2ddc5a1.jpg

I'm seriously in love with them and keep walking by and admiring them, and touching the soft microfiber fabric on the front side. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the china cabinets (stain vs paint vs find something complete different), and the dining room will be complete!
I'll share more fun pictures from the apple/pumpkin patch tomorrow. If you ever get a chance to go apple picking, I would highly recommend you go :)

Linking up today with Sami for Weekend Shenanigans and Our Little Nest for Kitchenspiration.

Photobucket

Follow Me:
http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. Those chairs are gorgeous, as is that picture of you holding that apple. We make apple crisp a lot here lately...I'll have to try that recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this post is just full of so much goodness! I LOVE that photo of the pups at the door! Frameworthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to get on the apple crisp bandwagon....looks yummy! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here from the linkup -- your dinner looks amazing and those chairs are BEAUTIFUL!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!