Thanksgiving 2013 Recap + Great Turkey Left-Over Recipe

Monday, December 2, 2013

Happy Monday everyone! Did you all enjoy the long holiday weekend? Did you eat lots of turkey? Lots happened this weekend, so I'll probably do a recap over the next couple of days. Today I wanted to share our Thanksgiving recap.

We hosted again this year, and I've discovered that I really enjoy hosting Thanksgiving dinner. I totally missed visiting with my side of the family, who spent their Thanksgiving at my Grandmother's in WV, but I really enjoyed planning, prepping and cooking. Oh and it was so nice to be able to sleep in and lounge around and watch the parade with coffee and some pumpkin bread and bacon. For most of my life I've always spent Thanksgiving morning on the road to visit family, so it was really cool to be able to watch the parade. I also really enjoyed setting a festive dinner table.

 photo 702F0E85-6232-489D-B3DA-80A752D16820_zpsipqaui1s.jpg


I made these really cute little pinecone turkeys which I placed on everyone's dinner plate.

 photo IMG_2430_1_zpsd679affa.jpg


I was also really excited to host a big dinner party at our new table, using my new fiestaware plates that I got for my birthday a few months ago. I just love the bright blue and green colors!

 photo meandrickthanksgiving_zps3f77dae1.jpg


Rick and I, our first (and only) Thanksgiving being engaged. Can you believe that next year we will be married?!?

 photo RicksMomandDad_zpsbe6a7cfa.jpg


Rick's Mom and Dad.

 photo KristynandJoe_zpsbafe6e33.jpg


Rick's sister and her fiance.

 photo 7F8D4A53-1C0F-42A9-8417-1D54C94CDADF_zpsjhp4jxwr.jpg


Rick and I worked together on another Pinterest project right before our guests arrived...our vegeterian turkey.

 photo PumpkinBread_zpsdfafe849.jpg


I also made some of my Grandmother's pumpkin bread (which she always makes for Thanksgiving), and pumpkin butter (which I make every Thanksgiving and give away as take-home gifts).

Some of the other dishes we enjoyed were:

 photo Turkey_zpsc2de3816.jpg

Citrus and Herb Turkey
(just to keep track, this year our turkey was 14 lbs and we cooked it at 325 for 3 hours)

 photo Stuffing_zpsbd8fa6b2.jpg



 photo SweetPotatoes_zps71ae63d5.jpg



 photo Potatoes_zps2629dbec.jpg


Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

 photo CranberrySalad_zpse97409ca.jpg



 photo Puppies_zps97214c2a.jpg


The puppies also got to enjoy some turkey sandwhiches. Everytime we get together with Rick's parents, his Mom will always end every meal by making the pups sandwhiches (or samwhiches as Rick's family calls them).

We have been enjoying left-overs for these last couple of days, and have almost finished them up. But what do you do when you are getting sick of turkey, but still have a ton left over?

 photo B12C5B56-3BF1-4BDA-807F-DB58B682D723_zps8kooglmu.jpg


You make buffalo turkey enchiladas. I used this recipe, and just substituted turkey for the chicken. So delish and a great way to use up left-over turkey, without getting bored.

Linking up with Our Little Nest for Kitchenspiration and Meg's Mingle Monday.


Photobucket

Follow Me:

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Your table is SO pretty!! I love the colors! Im a fiesta fan myself ;)

    All of your food looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!