Cilantro Garlic Hummus

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Now that the holidays are over, it's been my mission to get back to eating healthier. I think that for the most part I eat a pretty clean diet, but snack foods are like my worst enemy. I am one of those people that if I get hungry, or hangry as Rick and I call it, watch out! So it's important to have some healthy snacks around so I don't go grabbing for a bag of chips all the time.

I came across this recipe over the summer, and have been wanting to try ever since. The recipe is rather easy. I just threw all of the ingredients into our Ninja blender (a food processor would work also), and blend away. The only hard part is finding Tahini which is a paste made from ground, hulled sesame seeds, and is the main ingredient in hummus. I actually found a jar at Giant Eagle in the peanut butter section near the organic/all natural nut butters. It's a little expensive (around $10 for a jar), but I only used 1/3 of the jar, and it made a huge portion (the picture below is a large cereal bowl). I think next time I will cut the recipe in half, and still have plenty to enjoy for at least a couple of days.

 photo cilantrogarlichummus2_zps8ef9fa60.jpg

Cilantro Garlic Hummus
Original recipe from Southern Mess

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans chickpeas
  • 1/2 C tahini
  • 1/2 C olive oil
  • Juice of 3 lemons
  • 1/2 cucumber, peeled & sliced
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro
  • 1/2 T garlic salt
  • sea salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
Directions: 
Toss all ingredients into your blender and blend well for about 1-2 minutes. Add water, as needed, to meet the right consistency. Adjust the ingredients to your liking. I added a little more lemon juice and pepper, and reduced the amount of garlic from the original recipe. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. Try not to devour the entire bowl in one sitting :)

I have made a similar recipe before, but included roasted red peppers. You could basically add whatever you wanted, just keep in mind the basic recipe will include chickpeas, tahini, olive oil and lemons. 

What's your go to healthy snack?



Photobucket

Follow Me:

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I am hummus obsessed...this sounds incredible! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds absolutely delicious! I really do not snack much but if I do, I try to go for apples, bananas, or yogurt. Thankfully we never really have snack food hanging around the house. However, if there is dessert available, that is my first snack item of choice!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!