Reading Lately

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I love to read, and with Summer finally here, I thought it would be fun to share some of what I've been reading lately in case anyone is looking for a fun Summer read. My reading style is kind of all over the board, but I do like to mix it up, and after reading something pretty intense, I like to go with something lighter. 

Below are 4 books that I have read so far this year. I'm a little disappointed that I have only completed 4 of my goal of 15 books to read this year, but there was a little thing called a wedding, and a big launch happening this Fall at work. There is still time to catch up!! I have been keeping track of all of the books I have read for the last couple of years on Goodreads, and also use it as a great way to find new books to read as well. If you are on Goodreads, let me know and I'll look you up and follow.



Here I Go Again - Jen Lancaster is known for her memoirs such as Bitter is the New Black, but recently she has been writing some fictional books. She has more of a sarcastic tone, and kind of tells it like it is, but in a way that is super funny. The main story line from Here I Go Again revolves around a girl named Lissy who was super popular back in high school but kind of a mean girl. She starts to find out that karma is a bitch as her life begins to fall apart right before her high school reunion. Lissy goes back into the past to try and make things right, but realizes that changing the past can have a huge impact on the future. It's a fun and easy read, perfect for the beach, but does have some interesting twists to keep you on your toes. Jen Lancaster is one of my favorite authors, and I have read all of her books, and will probably continue to read them as they come out.

Lost Lake - Sarah Addison Allen is also one of my favorite authors and I have really enjoyed The Peach Keeper and The Girl Who Chased the Moon. When I heard Lost Lake was coming out, I immediately put it on my list to read. All of Allen's books are set in small southern towns, with a little mystery and a little magic mixed in. Kate, who is recently widowed, grew up spending summers at Lost Lake, which is ran by her Aunt Eby. After coming across a postcard from her estranged Aunt, Kate decides to set out with her daughter Devin in search of Lost Lake as a way to get away from their current lives. Kate and Devin not only find Lost Lake, but they also find a little part of themselves, while also bonding with family and friends from the past. I'll admit it wasn't my favorite of her books, I thought the other 2 were a little better, but she is still one of my favorite authors and I was glad that I did read this book.

The Husband's Secret - Celia Fitzpatrick is a successful business woman and the pillar in her small community. She comes across a letter her husband had written to her when her first daughter was born. She mentions to letter to her husband and he becomes really upset and tells her not to open it no matter what. Of course she becomes more curious, and eventually opens the letter. What she assumed would be a sweet innocent letter from the love of her life, turns out to be a dark secret that she wishes she had never known about her husband. This book includes other story lines that revolved around this main story and it's interesting to see how all of the character's impact one another, and how everything happens for a reason. The very end has an interesting twist that really gets you thinking about this very point. 

The Summer Girls - I love beach reads, and especially when they take place on the beach. The Summer Girls story line revolves around 3 sisters who return to their Grandmother's house on Sullivan's Island. Each of the girls spent their childhood summers with their Grandmother, but had not returned in 10 or so years. They are all in different places in their lives, but all are at the point of struggling with something in their lives. There are tensions at first as each of the girls had not really interacted with each other since those childhood summers. But the girls start to remember happy times with their sisters and they start to build bonds again. This was a good book, but I'll be honest I was a little disappointed at the ending. It leaves things very open, I'm assuming for more books to come, but I felt it was left a little more open than I would have liked. I'll admit I love things wrapped up with a pretty little bow, but I felt that she could have wrapped it up a little more, and still left it open for additional books. Just my 2 cents :)

Anyone have any good recommendations for what to read next?


Photobucket

Follow Me:

http://www.buttonshut.com/Follow Me on InstagramFollow Me on PinterestFollow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

We love hearing from you!