Perfect Fall Meal: Pork Roast with Sweet Potatoes & Apples

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Today I wanted to share a recipe that is totally perfect for this time of year. I've actually mentioned it before, but wanted to share my version on the blog. I'm also linking up with Rachel from Oh Simple Thoughts for her Bread & Wine Project link-up. The official link up will take place tomorrow morning, but I wanted to share some fun wedding pictures tomorrow for Wedding Wednesday, so this post is going up a day ahead of time. Check Rachel's blog tomorrow for more recipe inspiration.

Part of the link up is to share a recipe, as well as share some thoughts on hospitality and creating welcoming spaces for friends and family in our home. This month's prompt is:

How do you slow down when it comes to the food you feed your family, and the time you spend with others in your home.

When hosting dinner in our home, my goal is to try and prepare as much as I can prior to when our guests arrive. Sometimes this means preparing side dishes and casseroles ahead of time so all I have to do is pop in the oven to warm things up. I've also been known to prepare crock pot meals that can be cooked ahead of time and are ready to go as soon as the guests arrive. This allows me to enjoy time with my guests and keeps me from stressing out. Our kitchen is very open, so even if I am still cooking I can still enjoy my guests company while I am finishing things up, but it's always nice to be able to sit down and visit and not stress over trying to finish things up.

A few times we have also just ordered take-out and skipped the cooking all together. When our guests visit of course we want to serve them amazing food, but sometimes visiting is more important than slaving over a home-cooked meal. Order appetizers from your favorite restaurant, or various kinds of Chinese take-out and make it a smorgasbord of fun eats. Ordering from your favorite places still allows it to be personal and unique. Sometimes I'll bake a home-made dessert to finish off the meal, just to show a little effort was given.

 photo PorkRoastSweetPotatoes_zpsec49d5d0.jpg

The recipe I am sharing today is one we actually made over the weekend. To me it's one of those perfect Fall meals. And it's actually super easy to make. It's one that I think you could pop in the oven about 30 mins before your guests arrive and it will make your house smell amazing for when those first guests arrive.

Pork Roast with Sweet Potatoes & Apples
Serves: approx 4
Inspired by: Gluten Free Fix

Ingredients:
  • 2.5 lb pork roast
  • 4 small applies
  • 2 large sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Dried rosemary (or fresh if you have it)
  • Olive oil

Directions:
Drizzle olive oil over the pork roast and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven under high-broil and broil for a total of 15 mins, turning to the other side after 7.5 mins.

While the pork is broiling, start cutting up your sweet potatoes and apples into med-small size pieces. Toss them with olive oil and the spices. When the pork is finished broiling, add the sweet potatoes and the apples to the pan, spreading around the pork roast. I added a few more spices and rosemary to the pork to give it a little more taste.

Turn your oven off broil and onto the bake setting at 450 degrees. Place your pan in the oven and bake at 450 for 30 mins. About half-way through I pulled the pan out to turn the potatoes and apples so they could brown on both sides.

Once baked, let rest for a few mins for the pork juices to settle and then transfer to a festive fall platter if you prefer.

It's a really easy meal, super healthy, and has all the flavors of Fall. Enjoy!


 photo Signature_zpscc87bf0f.jpg


http://www.buttonshut.com/ Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love a good fall recipe, especially if it includes apples! It's a great idea to use the slow cooker for entertaining so you can have more time with your guests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks so amazing! I can't wait to cook with sweet potato more this fall!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!