That One Time I Rode a Camel

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My birthday was over a month ago, so I figured it was about time I shared that one time I rode a camel on my birthday.

Back in May of this year, the Columbus Zoo opened their new attraction The Heart of Africa. And when I found out that you could ride camels, I told Rick we needed to add this to our Summer bucket list. Of course the first part of Summer was a little busy (wedding anyone??), so when my birthday came around and Rick asked me what I wanted to do, I told him I wanted to go to the zoo and ride a camel. So that is what we did. Because what wifey wants, wifey gets, right...ha!

 photo IMG_3138_1_zpsefee9cc1.jpg


Let me tell you when we got up near the camel rides I got a little nervous. I think I feared that I would be that silly girl that fell off the camel.

 photo IMG_3148_1_zps6b696fb5.jpg

The camel ride was $7, lasted about 5 mins, and was kind of fun. The attendant told us a little about the camels at the zoo, including that these were both males, which were easier to handle than the female camels....hmmm. I believe he was about 8 years old, and they said these camels were owned by a private owner.

 photo IMG_3151_1_zpsc81452ec.jpg


My camel's name was Goober, because he liked to make funny faces.

 photo IMG_3133_1_zps22c07a34.jpg


These were some of the younger camels near the camel ride entrance.

This was the perfect day to go to the zoo because it wasn't too hot, and the animals were actually in great view, and were pretty active. Many times we have gone to the zoo and the animals are either hiding, or snoozing.

 photo IMG_3128_1_zpse3072658.jpg


Some of the other animals we saw included this polar bear who we caught scratching his back on this log.

 photo IMG_3131_1_zpsbd3d74a4.jpg


A bear who walked right up to us like he was after us...crazy!

 photo IMG_3167_1_zpsc43c1fa0.jpg


We totally missed out on feeding the giraffes, but caught the tail end and got some great views of them since they hadn't yet realized that feeding time was over.

 photo IMG_3172_1_zps67db3aca.jpg


 photo IMG_3184_1_zps31aa7ad9.jpg


Cute little cheetah, hanging out and totally enjoying all of the attention.

 photo IMG_3204_1_zps9178e2e7.jpg


And this guy, very deep in thought. Maybe plotting to save the world, or possibly take over.

Overall a great birthday!


 photo Signature_zpscc87bf0f.jpg

http://www.buttonshut.com/ Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so fun! I would love to ride a camel! Giraffes are my favorite animals and you got some great views of them!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!