Planty Projects

Monday, March 16, 2015

Happy Monday! So rumor has it, it's going to be 70 degrees today. I'll admit I'm a little skeptical, but we certainly are ready for it. I have steaks ready to cook on the grill tonight, and Rick's picking up the ingredients for some Moscow Mules. If everything goes as planned, you will find us both parked on our deck enjoying some bevvies later tonight.

I'm sure everyone agrees that we are all ready for Summer to get here. I'm especially ready to work on some of my garden projects. We both love growing plants, and can't wait to get our outside garden going again. Until then, I did work on a few inside planty projects this weekend to help spruce up the place. I also started working on my Spring/Easter decor, so more to come on that soon!

 photo IMG_4623_1_zps4056ohla.jpg

I love the look of succulents, and they are rather easy to grow...once you get the hang of it. I'll admit my first attempt did not work out very well. They all ended up frying. I then tried my second attempt last year, and 3 out of the 5 plants survived (the one in the middle, the one in the back and the long tall one). I ended up purchasing 4 more plants this weekend from Home Depot to fill in my succulent planter and I'm loving the look.

 photo IMG_4630_1_zps15cecox1.jpg

I have found my succulents work best in my living room, right next to the window. It's actually filtered sunlight as the curtains filter the sunlight a bit, but still allow some sunlight to come in. I learned the first year not to leave them outside in hot direct sun. They all fried. I also learned that they really only need about 1/2-1 cup of water every week (or I've even gone 2 weeks). Pour the water around the base of the plants as some of the leaves if they get too much water they will get moldy. Also note I did use some cactus potting soil to help with drainage, and then added black river rocks I got at Michaels on top.

 photo IMG_4627_1_zpsdtafidkc.jpg

I have this Jade plant over on my kitchen counter. Again it gets sunlight but is not direct sunlight. I water it about 1/3 a cup every week or so. This is actually one of my favorite plants and so easy to grow.

 photo IMG_2745_1_zpsk6spk3tm.jpg

I realized I never shared my herb garden from last year. We purchased this cedar box at Home Deport 2 years ago, and use it to grow all of our herbs. I love to grow oregano, chives, rosemary, cilantro, thyme, basil and mint. The mint and basil have their own planters as they tend to go out of control. Also we've only had luck with cilantro growing for about a month and then it goes to seed too quick and we lose it. We purchased some seeds so we may just keep planting seeds this year and see if we can keep it growing. Anyone else had any luck?

 photo IMG_2743_1_zpsjocsrbgh.jpg

Also, I love my plant markers and think they give my herb garden a cute personalized touch. I'll try and be sure to share this year's herb garden, along with a deck update in a few months. I have a few projects to spruce things up that I can't wait to start!

Anyone else excited about gardening projects? What's your favorite plant/herb to grow?

Linking up with Life of Meg for Mingle Monday.

 photo Signature_zpscc87bf0f.jpg

http://www.buttonshut.com/ Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. LOVE succulents! Last year was my first go at growing them and the ones I picked up from Ikea seemed to do really well! A co worker just told me that when the leaves fall off, or you pick one off, you can just lay them in the soil and more will grow!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!