Clean Slate Cookbook Review + 2 Recipes (Almond Crusted Chicken & No-Bake Strawberry Bars)

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I have another fun cookbook to share today. I have had my eye on this cookbook for a while now, and was really excited when it arrived. I was in the middle of my 1st 21 Day Fix Challenge and looking for some healthy recipes that I could add to our healthy dinner rotation. And it's from the Editors of Martha Stewart Living, which I love, so it's just got to be good right? Well now that I've had it for a month or so, I can say that this book is completely full of healthy, and delicious recipes.

 photo IMG_4807_1_zpswkbxcaq2.jpg


So what is this book all about. Well there are 2 parts to the book. The first part is more of a guide book to healthy eating. It includes useful information, such as healthy food swaps like switching avocado for mayo and greek yogurt to sour cream, tips for eating clean and choosing whole foods over processed foods, and tips for restocking your pantry. There is also a menu with recipes for a 3-Day Detox and a 21-Day Detox. I have not tried the detox plans yet because I've been using the 21 Day Fix eating plan, but I may try the 3-Day Detox just to see what it is all about. Both plans are meat free, which I'll be honest I'm not crazy about the idea of eliminating a food group, but for 3 days it might not be too bad. I'll have to try it and definitely follow up.

The second part is full of recipes. There were a few of them that I have tried so far and have loved. I have 2 below to share. They are all healthy/clean-eating recipes and I love that each recipe has a key so you can quickly see if it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, or nut-free. It's perfect for people with food sensitivities.

All of the recipes are sectioned off into categories on how the foods can help get your body healthy. These sections include: Replenish, Reboot, Recharge, Reengergize, Restore and Relax. My favorite section is the Relax section which is full of healthy dessert recipes such as Chocolate Walnut Brownies, Popsicles, Truffles, Berry Crisp, and the No-Bake Strawberry Bars which I've included below.

I wanted to share two of my favorite recipes that have become a part of our dinner rotation. The first recipe for Almond Crusted Chicken I swear we ate 3 weeks in a row, and I have it on the menu for this week as well. Thankfully Rick likes it as it has become one of my favorite meals. Serve it either with a salad, some green beans or sweet potato fries.

The second recipe is a dessert that is so good. The crust is made of dates and macadamia nuts and I swear it almost tastes like a pretzel crust. The first time I made this recipe it didn't really stick together very well. The second time I made it I made sure to really pulse the dates and nuts so they became sticky, and then added a little honey to help it stick together even more. It's still a very fragile dessert, but so yummy!

My only issue with the cookbook is there are a lot of recipes with ingredients I'll be honest I'm not even sure where to find. It's definitely a cookbook for a more sophisticated palate, and will require trips to a food specialty store or a health store for some of the ingredients. There are still plenty of recipes with ingredients you can find at your local grocery store, and I'm sure you could swap a lot of the ingredients. But this was something that I took note of, and you really have to take the time to go through the cookbook and figure out what recipes will work for your tastes and the ingredients you have access to.

 photo AlmondCrustedChicken_zpsrayjzaze.jpg


Almond Crusted Chicken
3-4 Servings

Ingredients:
-- 1 lb chicken breast or tenders
-- 1 1/2 cup of slivered almonds
-- 4 tbs olive oil
-- Salt and pepper

Directions:
Pre-heat your oven to 375. Salt and pepper both sides of your chicken. Then place your almonds in a food processor, along with 4 tbs of olive oil and pulse until it's a textured paste. Then cover your chicken with the almond paste and place in the oven and bake for 25 mins.

 photo NoBakeStrawberryBars_zps0o4hmlal.jpg


No-Bake Strawberry Bars
6 servings

Ingredients:
-- 2 cups of pitted dates
-- 1/4 cup of raw macadamia nuts
-- 2 tbs of old fashioned oats
-- pinch of sea salt
-- drizzle of honey
-- 15-20 strawberries

Directions:
Place your dates, macadamia nuts, oats and salt into a food processor and process until the mixture is like pebbles and starts to clump together. This make take several minutes. Then drizzle some honey and pulse a few more times.

Spray a small pan or pie dish with olive oil, and place the mixture on the bottom of the dish. Then take about 10 strawberries and mash with a fork or place in the food processor to make a jam-like spread. Then spread on top of your date/nut mixture. Then cut about 5 more strawberries to make a pretty design on top. You may want to place in the fridge before serving so the mixture can harden a little and will be easier to remove. Note this will only last a day or two in the fridge.

 photo 59C67A3E-F2C5-4622-987A-0AB53DAD6690_zpsxustgekc.jpg

I love to enjoy these bars with a hot cup of tea.

Does anyone else have this cookbook? If so, what recipes should I try next?

If you are looking for another great healthy cookbook, check out my review of Supermarket Healthy.

I recieved this book from Blogging for Books to review.


 photo Signature_zpscc87bf0f.jpg

http://www.buttonshut.com/ Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. I have this book too...I haven't made anything from it yet because I agree it's a little intimidating. But it is a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!