Easter Weekend + 2 "Need to Make Now" Recipes (1 Healthy & 1 Sinful!)

Monday, April 6, 2015

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. I loved seeing everyone's Easter pictures on Instagram and Facebook.

I haven't shared many weekend recaps lately, because honestly not a lot of interesting things are going on. But since it was a holiday weekend, I thought I would share some fun scenes from this weekend.

I didn't take a ton of pictures this weekend because there are just some times when you should be in the moment, instead of worrying about capturing a perfect moment. Some fun things not pictured include:

-- Going to our first Farmer's Market this year. There wasn't a lot of fresh produce available since we are just now starting Spring here in Ohio, but we are both looking forward to having some local Apple Sausage and Fresh Eggs for dinner tomorrow night. We also picked up a small jar of Summer Honey, which is so light and fruity flavored. Another thing we tried, and are looking into growing, are microgreens. I loved the pea and the spicy mix. We didn't purchase any, but are looking into maybe getting some seeds and growing some since Rick's parents gifted him this great greenhouse for his birthday. Perfect place to start some seeds! I'll have to share an updated on that as soon as we get some things growing.

-- We also headed to brunch at Northstar, and had our first meal on a patio. It was a little chilly, but the sun was shining and with a light coat on it wasn't too bad. I was just so excited to be outside for once.

 photo IMG_4795_1_zps4srfko8z.jpg


-- On Sunday we headed to Zanesville to attend church service at my Mom's church. As you can see, I wore the J Crew Factory Scallop Dress. I just loved the bright coral color, although I can't wait to wear the other dress soon!

 photo cross_zpsofc1v33f.jpg


-- One of the things I love most about Easter Sunday church service is how beautiful the church is decorated. I also just love their wooden cross. Usually on Good Friday Service they have everyone nail one of their confessions to the cross and then they burn them to forgive you for your sins. The cross is then decorated with Easter lilies on Sunday. Such a beautiful tradition.

 photo 5ED07915-3677-4C31-B510-E4A5BFFE2489_zpsjs2u8suu.jpg


-- We then headed to my parents house for lunch. I didn't get any pictures, primarily because the kiddos were with their Mom in Canada (they seem to be my photo subjects all the time), but I did capture this one of the guys swinging. They installed some new swings, and were then trying them out. Such goofballs!

 photo D48B005E-8F9D-496C-BC40-5D73F2D48728_zpslcotuhvs.jpg


-- I love decorating, and have been wanting to get some Spring flowers for my table centerpiece. I fell in love with these bright colors when I was shopping at Walmart of all places. They shock me sometimes with their flower selection, sometimes they have some great flowers at really great prices!

 photo D82F269E-3C49-4A45-AABC-BB6562B6390D_zpszmdbi1um.jpg


-- I also placed some of the flowers in this cute bunny candy dish I got at Target. We don't have any candy around the house since we are both trying to eat super healthy, so I figured the next best thing to do with this candy dish was to fill it with flowers and I love how it turned out!

One last thing I wanted to share was 2 fun recipes we tried this weekend. One is super healthy and a clean eating recipe. The other is just downright sinful, but so worth trying. It's all about balance, so it's ok to splurge every once in a while.

The first one is for Avocado Deviled Eggs. I have seen these on Pinterest, and my Mom and I both tried them this weekend. I'll be honest the one we found on Pinterest was really bland. So I then went home and tried to tweak it, and after a few trial and errors, Rick said I nailed it...so here is my version.

 photo AvocadoDeviledEggs_zpse2rdihki.jpg


Avocado Deviled Eggs
Makes 12 halves

Ingredients:
-- 6 eggs
-- 1 avocado, mashed
-- 2 tsp lime juice
-- 2 tbs plain greek yogurt
-- 1 tsp dijon mustard
-- Salt & pepper to taste
-- Cilantro and chili powder to garnish

Directions:
Bring your eggs to a boil and then boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit until the water is lukewarm (about 30 mins or so). Then peel your eggs, slice in half, and remove the yokes. Then mix the mashed avocado, lime juice, green yogurt, dijon mustard together. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Tweak any ingredients as you see fit. You may want more or less mustard depending on how tangy you want it. Then fill your eggs and garnish with some cilantro and some chili powder.

Another recipe I tried this week, which was just amazing, was Maple Whiskey Chocolate Truffles. There was a similar recipe on Southern at Heart last weekend, where she used bourbon. We have this amazing Jim Beam Maple Whiskey, that I just thought would be perfect for this recipe. The original recipe calls for coconut milk, but I just used some half and half as I'm not a huge coconut fan. These are really rich, but they are really good. Mine were a little soft, so I would definitely keep them in the fridge or the freezer. Not sure if using the half and half caused this or not, but they were still pretty darn good.

 photo MapleWhiskeyChocolateTruffles_zpso2rf0izu.jpg


Maple Whiskey Chocolate Truffles
Makes approx. 20 truffle balls

Ingredients:
-- 4 oz half and half (or heavy cream)
-- 10 oz bag of dark chocolate chips
-- 1 tbs maple whiskey
-- 1/4 cup of unsweetened coco powder

Directions:
Place your half and half into a pot and place on the stove. Place a bowl on top of the pot and place your chocolate chips in to melt while you are bringing the half and half to a simmer (like a double boiler). Then pour your half and half in with the chocolate chips to finish melting them. You may need to use a whisk to get smooth. Then mix in your maple whiskey. Once everything is well combined and smooth, pour into an 8x8 pan (or a 9" pie dish), spread out and tap the pan to remove all of the air bubbles. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Then form into small balls and roll in the coco powder. Keep in the fridge, or freezer, until ready to serve.

Did anyone try and amazing recipes this weekend? If so, please do share.

 photo Signature_zpscc87bf0f.jpg

http://www.buttonshut.com/ Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I love Farmer's Market season! Your Easter looked beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. both of these recipes look DELISH! I'm def going to have to try both !

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!