4th of July Wrap-up

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Can anyone else believe that the 4th of July has already came and went? This Summer...let me correct that...this year is going by so fast.

We had a fun-filled 4th this year and spent the majority of the weekend with family. I didn't take a ton of pictures because I wanted to just enjoy the moment, but did have a few I wanted to share and document to look back on. They may not be Pinterest-worthy, but they do make me smile and think of good times.

 photo 8CCEF397-AA05-4936-A9E3-7C9A5EC92521_zpss96bpa5f.jpg


The only patriotic picture I have is of one of our many desserts from the weekend. I received this trifle dish as a wedding shower gift, and made my first trifle last year, also for the 4th. When I told my family I was making this, they all got super excited. It's such a simple dessert to make, but so delish, and perfect for Summer. You just need a store-bought angel food cake, 2 tubs of cool whip and lots of strawberries and blueberries. Simple as that!

So the plan for Friday was a pool day for my family. Rick had to work, but my family was going to come earlier in the day to hang out at the pool, and then we were going to cookout once Rick got home for work. Well, it was cold and rainy, so instead we went to lunch, and then headed on over to Cabela's to show the kids all of the taxidermy animals. Kind of a weird adventurer since it was just me, Mom and Sarah and the two kids, but everyone seemed to have a fun time. And all of the guys were jealous they weren't invited.

 photo 9624DF7A-5100-40DE-93C2-E30DBAE95296_zpscixogxae.jpg

{ Can you believe how big they are??? }


The kids loved seeing the animals, although I don't think they realized they were real animals at one point in time. They did enjoy the part where you got to hear the different animals noises. I'm sure we totally annoyed the other shoppers.

 photo C7464D07-DF09-4B9A-BE95-DD85F998856F_zpsryjhjor3.jpg   photo 74FCDB4D-7456-4924-AF30-76B27A52873F_zpst0xmzed1.jpg

They also enjoyed trying out some coonskin hats. I think Izzie was trying to give her best coon impersonation?? 

 photo BA8CC4AD-31A7-409C-8959-D4673AF361A8_zpsxc51niei.jpg

I'm not a huge camo girl, but I did kind of like this North Face jacket. It kind of reminded me of an animal print, and I love the hot pink accents.

After our field trip, we headed back and did get a little pool time in. I have no idea how the kids didn't freeze themselves in the pool. My brother had a hard time getting in, but the kiddos swam for about an hour. Their teeth were chattering by the end, and we still had to drag them out of the pool. Then it was back to the house to begin dinner.

 photo C6FD17BA-2357-415B-80D5-5D1A7C109190_zps8gikjvsv.jpg


Izzie wanted to get in on the action by wearing my cupcake apron. Such a ham!

 photo 51F61F63-1B86-4ABE-9113-56428ED81091_zpsycgtd6uh.jpg


One of my favorite parts of the cookout was our Pineapple Sangria. It consisted of 1 bottle of white wine (I think I used Chardonnay), 1/2 cup rum, 16 oz of pineapple juice, 1 sliced orange, 2 sliced limes, and about 1 cup of chopped pineapple. We made this earlier in the day so the flavors would mix together, and then we served it with a little Sprite. So refreshing! We got about 4 - 5 servings out of this, so I would double for a large group.

After dinner the kiddos got to play with some sparklers and some snaps before heading home.

The next day we traveled North to visit with Rick's family. I didn't get a single picture, but we had some amazing food and some great family time. Rick's brother-in-law is an amazing chef, and he made burgers for lunch and the most amazing ribs that I'm still thinking about for dinner. We enjoyed a little fireworks thanks to the neighbors down the street and then set off a few fireworks of our own.

We also had a great time celebrating our 1st anniversary and Rick's sister and brother-in-laws's 10 anniversary. We had 2 amazing cakes and Rick's parents gave us this beautiful crystal bowl that I can't wait to decorate and display in our home. I'm working on the perfect spot, so I'll have to share soon!

Hope everyone had an amazing holiday weekend. Did anyone do anything fun? Or had any yummy food? Please share :)

A look back at past 4th of July festivities: 2014 & 2013
 photo Signature_zpscc87bf0f.jpg

http://www.buttonshut.com/ Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Awww such a fun weekend!! That trifle looks AMAZING!! We used to have a Cabela's right around the corner from our house (literally), and I miss just walking around there!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!